The Varadero Golf Course was officially inaugurated on October 26th, 1999. Was designed by architect Les Furber, President of the canadian company Golf Design Services LTD (GDS).
Located at Varadero peninsula, it covers a narrow 3.5 Km. strip flanked by the hotels Sol Sirena Coral, Brezzes Varadero, Breezes Bella Costa, Meliá Las Américas, Meliá Varadero and Sol Palmeras.
TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION OF THE GOLF COURSE
- - 18 holes; 72 par: 5 par 5 and 5 par 3 ; remaining 8 are par 4.
- - 6 269 linear meters of trajectory between the First Tee or starting point and Green 18.li>
Three features of golf design are combined on this Lay Out:
- "Classic design", broad roads bordered by trees, wide and scarcely protected greens.
- Challenging or "Target Golf design", modern style with narrow roads and heavily protected greens surrounded by sand traps and lakes. The Varadero Golf Course has several salt-water lakes that connect directly with the sea, a feature that makes it almost unique worldwide.
- "Links design", with holes located alongside the sea following the shoreline, introducing the ocean as another obstacle in the game.
Due to its configuration, the course is divided into two distinct areas. A first round from holes one to nine, that can be considered slightly easier, and a second round, from holes 10 to 18, where holes 11, 15. 16. 17 and 18 stand out for their individual complexity.
This allows golf players to combine all the technical elements of the game with the beauty, peacefulness and quiet of the surroundings.
The Club House of the Varadero Golf Club has a golf players´ reception at the Caddie House, also including a Pro Shop and Snack Bar.
They have facilities and experience in organizing international golf tournaments.